Training WebinarsRegister for a free training webinar on LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor.
Getting Started Videos
View a brief video to help prepare yourself or your students to use Respondus Monitor with online exams.
Respondus Monitor is a companion application for LockDown Browser. To use Respondus Monitor, your institution must have a campus-wide license for LockDown Browser and the license administrator must have enabled the Respondus Monitor feature. Once enabled, instructors can access the Respondus Monitor settings through the LockDown Browser Dashboard (available within your LMS).
For more information, contact your institution's LMS administrator or email email@example.com.
The sample wording below can be used in your course to explain that students must use LockDown Browser and a webcam (Respondus Monitor) for their online tests.
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Watch this short video to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
Then download and install LockDown Browser from this link:
[NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: INSERT YOUR INSTITUTION'S DOWNLOAD URL HERE, IF APPLICABLE]
To ensure LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly, do the following:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into [INSTRUCTOR: ENTER LMS NAME HERE], and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the practice quiz named [NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: CREATE A BRIEF PRACTICE QUIZ AND INSERT NAME OF QUIZ HERE; IF NECESSARY, INCLUDE LOCATION OF QUIZ].
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surface where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
- Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.
Ensure your first exam using Respondus Monitor runs smoothly! Have students take an ungraded practice quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam, before taking a graded exam.
Direct students to use the Help Center prior to their first exam. With LockDown Browser open, log into the course and select the Help Center button the toolbar. From there, run the Webcam Check and the System & Network Check to make sure everything is working properly. If a problem is indicated, students can search for a solution in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to your institution's help desk.
Leave the practice quiz available for the duration of the course, with unlimited attempts, so students can check their setup from a different computer.